Grom usb3 in a 2007 Mazda cx7 has issues

I recently purchased both the vehicle and the device in hopes of an easy compatibility. After updating the firmware to the cdc most recent one, the usb drive finally works on random with no playback errors. There are however display errors when some songs play. The audio will be playing along through the random setting on the EXT 1 file or EXT 2 files I created. It is a 32gb sandisk cruzer drive. It had more issues before the update, but at this point that is irrelevant. The stereo display in the vehicle shows a random song number and sometimes no time display or the time countdown freezes while the song plays. Is there a fix for that? Can it show track titiles from the included id3 tags in the mp3 files? It never does. I created a support ticket the day before about what version of the firmware to use and got this http://gromaudio.com/mazda_firmware.html with no other info about anything else. This is why I am starting this discussion. To get answersd when I am curious about things. Thank you for any comments on it.
Comments
  • Hello, thank you for the post.
    If you use CDC, it will not show the track information. Only Disc # and Track #. Please make sure that you do not have the "RANDOM" on, if you have it on - the tracks will play in random order. Toggle "RDM" button to check.

If you use SAT Firmware (SAT emulation), text will display. You can refer to the article here for the controls:
    http://gromaudio.com/mazda_firmware.html

Note that with SAT emulation you will loose steering wheel controls.

Thank you.

• I am using the cdc mode and want the songs to play randomly. When I turn the vehicle off and on after coming back the usb drive will not play at all from time to time and the display is blank. Why is that?
  • This is the reason why the songs display in random - because you have "Random" on. As for your problem, that might be the problem with the USB stick that you are using or maybe because there are a lot of files, sometimes it takes some time for the stereo to pick up.

What do you do in order to make the stereo read the USB again? Is it picking up on its own?
  • Yes it picks up on its own. I stopped the random playback and let it play through like normal. I found that the display only shows tracks and track time for the first 99 songs correctly. when it got to a song after that, number 100 played with no display. 101 played as track one and so on for the ones following. I turned the car off for a couple hours and back on and the unit would not play at all. I believe it was trying to play from the last song that was playing, but I am not sure. I tried to reset it to no avail. Now every time I plug the usb drive in, it doesn't do anything. It's not recognized by the stereo at all. The drive I was using is a PNY 16gb attache. Here is a link to some info for one.  https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/PNY-Attache-USB-flash-drive-16-GB/2906676.aspx?cm_cat=GoogleBase&cm_ite=2906676&cm_pla=NA-NA-PNY_DR&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=WMpJRAAAAF-IBFSc:20170406125617:s&gclid=Cj0KEQjwzpfHBRC1iIaL78Ol-eIBEiQAdZPVKiUYUE8Ga_grNUOb1wHoUf5Hv7S3Y67X1P8Gl9POiDsaAopk8P8HAQ&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!166686831325!!!g!82359897064!

• edited April 6
    Also after it will not play, I have to change the mode on the stereo (after disconnecting the flash drive from the usb cable hooked into the device and restarting the car) through fm, am, cd, etc, until the unit says usb. it then will try and play the last song again. I do know when it says usb I can change it to aux in but I haven't wanted to do that at this point. The amount of songs in EXT1 is 232, BTW.

• Try to use the USB stick that has less than 100 files. As for your issue with more than 100 files we will try to replicate it here on our equipment.

When you say "The amount of songs in EXT1 is 232" - do you mean the amount of the songs on the flash drive? EXT1 is the extension port for the Bluetooth connection GROM-BTD or HD Radio Dongle GROM-HDR1.