LED Diagnostic Information Needed

Hi,

I installed the IPD3 with BT and AUX-IN accessories into a 2005 Accord about 3 years ago. All was well until about a year ago when I got a new phone and I could not longer find the GROM-CAR device to pair to. Note my wife's phone which was previously paired could still connect. No other Bluetooth capable device would see GROM-CAR however. I limped along on the AUX-IN for a while until I had a free weekend to pull it all apart and attempt a firmware update.

The LED would rapidly flash for a second or two then go solid for a second then loop over and over rapidly flashing and going solid for as long as power remained on the harness. At this point the device no longer is seen by the head unit and so i have zero functionality. I assumed that the board itself had died and found a person selling the exact same board only with a Mercedes harness on eBay.

When the replacement board arrived and I got a free weekend to try again I discovered that it behaved in exactly the same manner. I experimented with removing the SD card and reapplying power to no avail. At some point I attempted to remove the power immediately after the LED went solid. This caused the LED to simply flash once and no more upon power connection. At least this was new behavior. I thought I must have somehow corrupted this board so set about trying different things with the old board.

At some point i suspected the harness cable so I removed it from the back of the head unit and checked that all connections on each end registered continuity and that no pins registered as shorted. The cable seems to be fine. I also plugged the stock XM radio back in and confirmed that the head unit does recognize and switch to the XM radio when plugged in suggesting the head unity still works as expected.

At some point I got my old board to only flash the LED once and no more on power connection. I tried the replacement board again and it was back to the rapid flashing then solid LED loop, which suggested the board had somehow reset itself from the corrupted state just by being left alone for awhile. I continued to try to flash this unit until it also reverted to only flashing the LED once and no more on power connection.

As of this moment today both boards are int he same condition and have not reset themselves. I would like some reference for the LED codes being flashed, sure these things mean something. At a minimum I'd like to know what the 2 different codes I have received indicate. What is the means of resetting from the current state back to previous state; clearly it is possible. With no power connected I tried shunting each of the 6 jumpers in all configurations in hopes that there was a settings reset similar to  CMOS reset on a computer motherboard but no luck with that, either.

My final question would involve replacing the unit with the IPD4. Will the BT Dongle, AUX-IN dongle, and Honda 1M harness I purchased with the IPD3 be compatible with the IPD4 unit? If so, is it possible to simply buy a pre-flashed IPD4 board for some reduced rate below buying a complete kit?

Ideally, however, I'd like to understand what the LED is telling me, how to reset the board back to being flashable, and understand what is going on with the flash process. Right now I suspect the unit may have a dislike for my specific SD card (it is 2GB and formatted FAT) but I can't try a  different card with the boards in their current state.
Comments
  • edited June 20
    Will the BT Dongle, AUX-IN dongle, and Honda 1M harness I purchased with the IPD3 be compatible with the IPD4 unit? If so, is it possible to simply buy a pre-flashed IPD4 board for some reduced rate below buying a complete kit?

Yes the BT Dongle, AUX-In cable and HON1M cable will be compatible with the IPD4 unit. We do offer discounts to the repeat customers on the replacement parts, please contact us at http://gromaudio.com/support.html

As for led light diagnostics, you can also contact our tech support at http://gromaudio.com/support.html

Thank you.