BTS3 draining my battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTS3 draining my battery

Installed my BTS3 per instructions on my 2007 BMW Z4. Works great.
    When I don't use the Z4 for 5-7 days the battery goes dead.
    Without putting the key in the ignition can connect my iPhone 11 to the BTS3 cable and it starts charging.
    Is this correct or could I have wired the power wire incorrectly.

Harold L

In BMW the car "wakes up" when it senses the key, and the BT3 wakes up with the car. This is the reason you are able to connect the iPhone, and it will start charging. In general the BT3 does not drain the battery, however if the battery itself is already weak, as it happens often in older vehicles, adding BT3 can affect it.

Comment

I own a 2006 Volvo S80 (Mk.1) with an HU-650 head unit, and a Grom BT-3 connected to it following the instructions.
      Since I connected this module to the car, the battery is low every morning, especially in cold weather like it's now. And when I left my car for a week while on vacation abroad - it barely started after that. And I have noticed a few things. Even with the car off and key in my pocket - my phone is still connected to the BT device. And secondly, with the car completely off, If disassembling the unit's case the red led on it is lit. Does that mean that it drains the battery slowly?

Comment

The BT3 in the Volvo turns on and off with the Data Bus in the vehicle. Sometimes these stay active and keep accessories on for a brief period after the vehicle is turned off. I would recommend turning the vehicle off, closing all doors (trunk and hood included), locking the vehicle, and seeing if your phone stays connected to the BT3's Bluetooth after 1 minute.

Comment

I have the BT-3 installed in a 2007 Lexus SC430. Actually on my second unit. My challenge is that since I began unsung the unit the car’s battery does not last. Twice now my battery has gone bad in about 2 years. We believe the installer used the cable provided for Toyota and connected to the CD part of the unit.

We always turn off the radio before shutting down the car BUT do wonder if, for some reason the BT-3 is drawing power even then. All cars have some minor battery drain when shut down (lock lights, clock, etc.) but if this is always on it could be the cause of excessive battery drain.

Any thoughts? Any similar problems?

Comment

The BT3 is powered off Constant 12V, but turns on with the Accessory/Ignition wire. So the BT3 should not be able to drain the battery in your vehicle without the ignition being on, however anything is possible with electronics.

I would recommend getting 2 Parasitic Battery Tests done or do them yourself with a multimeter. You would want to do one with the BT3 connected and one without the BT3 connected. You would then compare the 2 results to see if the BT3 is pulling amperage while the vehicle is off. This would be the best way to tell if the BT3 is causing this issue.

Comment

Working...
            X